Poker has been around for over 200 years. During these two long centuries, many fascinating stories have developed around the world’s favorite card game.
Some have been written by some of the greatest storytellers that ever lived in the United States, such as Mark Twain (who famously once said “there are few things that are so unpardonably neglected in our country as poker) and Tennessee Williams. The vast majority of these exciting tales, however, are not fiction at all – they actually took place at poker tables around the world.
These poker stories feature some of the biggest legends of the game. Stu Ungar, Doyle Brunson, Johnny Chan, Phil Hellmuth; as well as players from the new generation, such as Tom “durrrr” Dwan, Phil Galfond and Doug Polk all appear in the book.
Here are a few of the stories included:
- The First Time Poker is Mentioned—Dragoon Campaigns to the Rocky Mountains
- Dead-Man’s Hand
- Arnold Rothstein’s Deadly Poker Debt
- The “Literary and Hunting Club” Where Black Intellectuals Have Played Poker Underground for 80 Years
- Hold ’em Arrives From Texas to Las Vegas
- The Most Famous 7,2 Bluff
- The Advent of Online Poker
- The Comeback Kid—Stu Ungar Wins the Main Event Again
- The Corporation vs. Andy Beal
- Chris Moneymaker Wins the WSOP Main Event and Changes the World
- The Durrrr Challenge
- Black Friday
- Is Dan Bilzerian Actually a Poker Genius?
- Is More Rake Actually Better? The Never-Ending Internet Feud Between Doug Polk and Daniel Negreanu
- Libratus, Poker’s “Deep Blue” Moment
- Who is the Real Biggest Online Tournament Winner of All Time?
- The Biggest Tournament in Poker History
- Mike Postle, the Accused “Crotchripper” of Stones Gambling Hall
The 50 Greatest Stories in Poker History, published by Huntington Press in October 2021, encompasses everything an avid poker fan would want to know about poker history. It covers poker’s most interesting stories from the American frontier period, through American presidents’ relationship with the great game, up to the latest buzz about $100/$200 online heads-up challenges.
You can order your very own copy of this fascinating and fresh new release by clicking here. If you live in the United States, you’ll also get free shipping. Pick it up now!