With the numerous setbacks due to the current Covid-19 situation, it would only be fair to assume that the entertainment capital of the world would be in a devastating position considering its high risk nature of businesses and tourism-reliant economic model. However, this is not the case for the popular Sin City. Recent developments have shown Las Vegas making aggressive steps towards recovery while strictly implementing necessary health protocols.
Aside from the reopening of casinos in the famed Strip, new casino Circa has successfully opened its doors a few days ago welcoming hundreds of visitors on site.
On another note, billionaire Sheldon Adelson is considering letting go of his Las Vegas casinos – the Venetian Resort, the Palazzo and Sands Expo Convention Centre, allowing the mogul to focus on his Macau and Singapore locations. While the news is still in its early discussions, an estimated asking price of at least US$6 billion has already been reached.
Newly opened Circa sets to transform downtown
Opening a new casino during a pandemic may not be the greatest idea but with the uncertainty the crisis brings, many are left with no option but to deal with it right away. 35 floors above ground, Circa Resort & Casino is deemed to be the tallest building in downtown Las Vegas and serves as a tourist destination in its own right. While the rest of the 777-suite hotel is yet to be finished later this year, the first five floors of the building which contain the casino has already seen its grand opening earlier this week.
In just one week, a new era of Vegas begins. ✨ Join us at the #CircaLasVegas grand opening to forever be a part of history. Our doors open to you at 12:01 AM on Oct. 28. #CountdownToCirca #CircaReveal pic.twitter.com/OJldX8psuz
— Circa Las Vegas (@CircaLasVegas) October 21, 2020
The newly opened establishment brings a different take to downtown Las Vegas as it brings a more modern flair being the first casino to rise from the ground up in the last 40 years. Owned by brothers Greg and Derek Stevens, the $1 billion complex is seen to be a game changer for the area, bringing in a new level of standard as well as competition.
“I’m feeling great. Opening this is obviously great for downtown (and) great for all of Las Vegas. Fifteen-hundred new jobs is pretty awesome, particularly at this time.”, said Circa owner Derek Stevens to Las Vegas Review-Journal.
While the extensive casino which holds 1,350 slot machines and 49 table games is already an impressive offering, Circa has prepared to bring its guests an experience unlike any other. Geared towards adults with an age restriction of 21 and over, the establishment is set to run one of the world’s largest sportsbooks rising three stories high with an allotted 1,000 guest capability and a staggering 78 million pixel high definition screen to complement its stadium-style facility. Adding more excitement, the resort & casino houses Stadium Swim, a six swimming pool complex which fronts a 14 million pixel screen for its pool guests. With none of its features anything short of grand, Circa has received its take of positive reviews from visitors and locals to even its rival casinos.
“It’s absolutely amazing. There’s really nothing like this downtown,” said Andrew Citores, owner of a local travel company Getaway Club. “We’ve only seen 10 percent of it and we’re already so impressed. You would expect this property to be on the Las Vegas Strip.”
“It’s going to add a new dimension to downtown,” commented Jonathan Jossel, CEO of the Plaza Hotel & Casino just opposite of Circa. “It’s true that we’re in the casino and hotel business, but people don’t always realize that we’re also in the redevelopment of downtown Las Vegas business. As downtown gets better, we all get better.”
Serving as an escape and a prime destination for entertainment and relaxation, eager guests can look forward to its full opening this nearing December. A big change in the community’s atmosphere, many are optimistic Circa will attract more tourists and bring a favored increase in gaming revenue.
Billionaire Adelson’s Las Vegas Sands mulls US$6 billion sale of Las Vegas casinos
A possible exit from the US gambling industry is in the works as billionaire casino mogul Sheldon Adelson is considering selling his Las Vegas properties for an asking price of at least US$6 billion. With decades of experience being the world’s largest casino operator, Adelson is reportedly working with an adviser to sort out potential buyers for his three properties in the area namely the Venetian Resort, the Palazzo and Sands Expo Convention Centre.
So far, no decision has yet been finalized with the discussions being in its early stages as reported by a representative from Las Vegas Sands. With a feasible sale on the horizon, the businessman’s portfolio will end up mainly focusing on its Macau and Singapore locations. New investments and other overseas projects will also be prospects if a sale does indeed push through.
At 87 years old, cemented character in the casino scene Adelson has accumulated a massive fortune estimated at US$29.7 billion with the US market only accounting for roughly less than 15% of his last year’s recorded revenue. Given the city has been hit terribly hard by the pandemic, that small part of the mogul’s portfolio will see an even larger decline for 2020. Sale or no sale, Adelson’s presence in the city of Las Vegas will always be remembered for his contribution and development to what is now the world’s most popular gambling destination.