Online world championship festival underway
The long awaited World Championship of Online Poker (WCOOP) hosted by PokerStars is nearing the end of its first week and many champions have already been crowned.
The first five events did not create many headlines in terms of big name winners, but event 6 saw Christian “eisenhower1” Jeppsson take the USD$72,339 1st prize, capturing his second WCOOP title in the process.
There was also a runner-up finish for Vladimir “vovtroy” Troyanovskiy in event 8. The Russian pro took home USD$30,860 for his efforts.
Event 12 saw Shaun “shaundeeb” Deeb match Dan Kelly‘s all time record for WCOOP titles. Deeb won his fourth title in the NL 5-Card Draw Championship, picking up USD$22,185 in the process.
First ever Philippine WCOOP champion
The USD$215 PLO rebuy event was of particular interest to Asian viewers as the WCOOP welcomed its first ever Philippine champion into the winners circle. There had already been several Chinese final tablists in previous events, but Terry “Tgonz” Gonzaga stole the spotlight with his historic moment in event 15. He overcame former EPT champion Andrey “ThePateychuk” Pateychuk heads up to claim his victory, and won USD$43,861.WCOOP-15 ($215 PL Omaha, 1R1A) results
Total Entries: 595 (371 rebuys, 258 add-ons)
Prize pool: $248,472
Places paid: 71
1. Tgonz (Philippines) $43,861.73
2. Andrey “ThePateychuk” Pateychuk (Russia) $32,180.42
3. mcmorumbi1 (Brazil) $23,610.23
4. Niklas “Lena900” Astedt (Sweden) $17,322.44
5. Coltaine (Germany) $12,709.21
6. Edgy420 (Canada) $9,324.55
7. -Rebus1980- (Russia) $6,841.27
8. Zack “Zackattak13” Korik (Canada) $5,19.33
9. Vlad “dariepoker” Darie (Romania) $3,682.60