As the current global pandemic strikes even the most well-known cities, numerous non-essential businesses are temporarily shut down in efforts to curb the spread of the virus, halting the majority of operations in cities such as Las Vegas. Travel restrictions among different countries have also been exceptionally tough on these industries relying heavily on tourism the past few months. While many are adjusting to the present-day situation, major operators of the gaming scene are keen on reopening this coming month of June.
Vegas Casinos Plan a Progressive Reopening for June
Company giants of the gaming scene in Las Vegas, Nevada have recently made known their plans eyeing the resume of operations mid this year.
Caesars Entertainment CEO Tony Rodio announced that a phased reopening for its Sin City establishments will soon be conducted while MGM Resorts likewise released a seven-point health and safety plan for its casinos. With no exact date set at the moment, Rodio shared that the company will focus on debuting its flagship, Caesars Palace, as well as one “value-oriented properties” on the east side of Strip first with the other casinos to follow soon after based on demand.
As part of the fight against the Coronavirus, multiple policies and procedures will be strictly implemented in compliance with the Nevada Gaming Control Board’s recommendations. Aside from the usual disinfecting and social distancing policies, all employees will be targeted to go through a health screening program before returning to work to ensure the overall safety and protection of its staff and customers.
“We are implementing new protocols focused on the well-being of our team members, guests and communities to create environments with high standards of sanitization and physical distancing practices,” said Rodio in a statement. “we are working closely with public health authorities, gaming regulators and infectious disease specialists to design our plan.”
MGM Interim CEO Bill Hornbuckle on the other hand, shared a more detailed health and safety plan for the intended reopening which include daily employee screening measures, requiring of masks to be worn at all times, social distancing guided by floor signages, enhanced sanitization techniques, updating of the air quality in the casinos, strict protocols for guests who fall ill and touch-free innovations during check-in and check-out.
The executive expressed his optimism towards the coming reopening adding “If our counts stay reasonably low and things don’t escalate, we’ll be opening the casinos sometime late this month, first part of June,” said Hornbuckle on NBC’s “Today” show.
According to a report from the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Las Vegas Sands properties, The Venetian and Palazzo are also preparing for a target reopening sometime this June. The company has since begun offering testing for both employees and household members aged 13 years and older just last Monday.
The expected opening within a month’s time may seemingly be possible given recent developments in the state. Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak announced last week that the first phase of Nevada United: Roadmap to Recovery, a multi-stage plan to safely restart the state’s economy will begin a week earlier than intended. While most businesses are now allowed to reopen, bars, nightclubs, malls, concert venues and casinos will still remain closed for the meantime.
The governor priorly told ABC News that “the casino and the gaming enterprises will probably come in the third or the fourth phase of what we’re doing here because we’re just not ready yet to handle that type of a volume.”
Largest Poker Room in Europe, King’s Casino Rozvadov Up and Running
While many casinos remain unoperational amid the COVID-19 situation, King’s Casino Rozvadov, the recent home of the WSOPE, officially reopened last May 11th. The integrated resort has since previously closed its doors for Italian citizens given the outbreak in the country but inevitably shut its doors for the public last March 13.
Although the resort has reopened its gaming floor, parts of the venue still remain closed for now to solely focus on the ones that are running. Strict guidelines were simultaneously released for the welfare and interest of everyone in the establishment. These include but are not limited to wearing of face masks in all areas of the casino, disinfecting of equipment for different users, wearing of face shields for employees in service and certain food and drink restrictions inside the gaming area.
A post on their official website invited its followers to join in the action saying
“King’s Resort Rozvadov, King’s Casino Prague and the Admiral Casino Rozvadov will open again on May 11th at 15:00! Poker Cash Games, live games like Roulette and Blackjack and Slots will be available. Tournaments won’t take place for now, but we hope we can start with them soon as well! Highest hygiene standards will be implemented, such as hand sanitizers for the guests and frequent disinfection of all areas. King’s is looking forward to see you soon!”
With infection rates in the Czech Republic initially going down and the government easing on lockdown measures, it might still be a little too soon to draw in large crowds with only a few social distancing policies in place. Many however, are paying attention to the forthcoming effects of the early reopening as an example for other casinos worldwide.