Despite a growing demand, poker players in Vietnam have been very restricted in their opportunities to play within their own country. Most casinos do not allow locals to enter, and the only casinos who are offering poker to foreign passport holders, aren’t overly keen on seeing the game grow.
The Grand Ho Tram Strip stopped offering poker last November when they ended their partnership with World Gaming Group, and New World Hotel have removed the only electronic table poker available in Ho Chi Minh City.
The Vietnamese poker community has been in desperate need of positive news ever since.
Aces Poker opens its doors
Good news has duly arrived, with the opening of Aces Poker Club in Hanoi on Friday 29/07/16, under the supervision of the new Poker and Bridge Federation.
Currently, activities remain limited, but’ it’s clearly an important step for poker in Vietnam.
What you should know about Aces Poker
- For legal reasons, Cash Games are not allowed. Tournaments are the only format on offer.
- Players need to be a member to access the activities of the club. Both locals and foreigner are accepted.
- Membership rates: One month – 500k Vnd , 3 months – 1.2M Vnd , 6 months – 2M Vnd and 12 months – 3.6M Vnd
- The current daily schedule is : 2pm – 3M Vnd buy in , 6 pm – 2M Vnd , 8pm – 1M Vnd. Details: Schedule
- Three formats are on offer: Deeepstack, Turbo and Normal. Two re-entries are allowed.
- Rake: 70% of the entry fees collected go into the prize pool, with the rest going towards rake.
- Turnout: Each tournament has so far attracted between 30 and 60 people.
- Update 14/09/16: Foreign passport holders are no longer allowed to play at Aces Poker.
Poker as a skill game. The way to go?
It’s interesting to note that in a similar way to China or Japan, poker can make its own space in a legal environment where authorities are restricting casinos. Promoting poker as game of skill has opened a first door in Vietnam. Let’s hope that these modest beginnings will become the solid foundation for a dynamic poker scene.
Address: 1A Tăng Bạt Hổ, Hanoi